All Israel

After speaking with Trump, PM Netanyahu convenes cabinet as Israel prepares for possible renewed fighting with Iran

Unidentified drones strike nuclear plant in UAE

 
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu leads a special cabinet meeting, May 17, 2026. (Photo: Screenshot)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened his small security cabinet on Sunday to discuss the possibility of renewed fighting with the Iranian regime, following reports that Washington is leaning toward a resumption of the war.

Since U.S. President Donald Trump returned home from a trip to China, various news outlets have reported this past weekend that the war could resume as early as this week, amid stalled negotiations and signs that Tehran is unwilling to compromise.

The Israeli Defense Ministry reportedly expects that fighting will resume this week as well, though it is unclear when. On Sunday evening, the IDF Home Front Command reiterated existing warnings without raising the alarm levels, indicating that no escalation was expected, at least not in the coming hours.

Two U.S. officials said Trump is expected to discuss options for new military operations with his top national security team in the Situation Room on Tuesday, according to Axios.

Raising tensions even further, the United Arab Emirates – which has borne the brunt of Iranian attacks during the war – reported an attack on one of its nuclear plants by a drone on Sunday. The UAE did not explicitly accuse the regime of the attack, but noted that it was launched “from the West,” which could indicate that Iranian proxies in Iraq or Yemen were behind the attack.

Netanyahu and Trump reportedly spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes before the cabinet meeting on Sunday evening. Shortly after, the U.S. president wrote on Truth Social: “For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”

An Israeli official told Ynet News that Trump “needs to feel at peace with himself – and if he decides to renew the fighting, Israel will likely be asked to join.”

Speaking on Iran at a special government meeting earlier on Sunday, Netanyahu noted, “Our eyes are open… of course, there are many possibilities; we are prepared for every scenario.”

According to Channel 12 News, officials in Israel expect fighting to resume in a different format, with the objective remaining to pressure the regime into an agreement rather than achieve a decisive military defeat.

An Israeli official told Kan News that the new targets for strikes will include national energy infrastructure in Iran, which the White House had previously asked Israel not to attack. Other options may include commando raids to capture nuclear material buried deep underground, U.S. officials told The New York Times.

Trump has reportedly been frustrated by the regime’s evading and time-stalling tactics, particularly regarding its absolute refusal to abandon its nuclear ambitions, Fox News reported on Sunday.

On Saturday, President Trump posted a picture on Truth Social that appeared to represent the U.S. naval blockade, adding, “It Was The Calm Before the Storm.”

“The prevailing assessment inside Iran is that President Trump may resort to restarting military action, and Tehran is now deliberately pursuing a strategy of ‘deception and delay’ with the hopes that buying time will complicate any potential return to war,” the outlet cited two regional intelligence officials as saying.

A senior Israeli official told Channel 12 on Saturday, “We’re preparing for days to weeks of fighting and waiting for Trump’s final decision. We’ll know more in 24 hours.”

Two Middle East officials also told the NYT that both countries were engaged in “intense preparations” for fighting to resume as early as this week.

On Sunday, Channel 14 international correspondent Ben Yaniv noted that a “crazy” U.S. military airlift to the Middle East was underway. “At least 11 C-17A transport aircraft of the U.S. Army left the Middle East this morning – did they unload everything that needed unloading?” he wrote.

Meanwhile, a senior advisor to the president of the UAE warned that the attack on the nuclear plant was a “dangerous escalation,” whether it was “carried out by the principal perpetrator or through one of its agents.”

Presidential Advisor Anwar Gargash wrote on 𝕏 that the attack “violates all international laws and norms, in criminal disregard for the lives of civilians in the UAE and its surroundings.”

“This prohibited escalation serves to reaffirm the nature of the challenges facing the region in confronting the forces of evil, chaos, and sabotage. No one will twist the UAE's arm, nor will they succeed in undermining its vision, its success, and its inspiring message to the peoples of the region in security, stability, development, and prosperity,” he vowed.

The Defense Ministry stated, “Three UAVs were launched at our territory today – we intercepted two of them, and one struck an electrical generator near the Barakah nuclear power plant,” adding that “the source of the UAVs is under investigation.”

The All Israel News Staff is a team of journalists in Israel.

Popular Articles
All Israel
Receive latest news & updates
    Latest Stories