Trump says willing to wait to get ‘the right answers’ from Iran, resumption of military operations could ‘go very quickly’
US blockade of Hormuz still in effect as Iran creates new Persian Gulf Strait Authority
U.S. President Donald Trump said that Washington is willing to wait a little longer to get an acceptable answer from Iran, while warning that the U.S. is “ready to go” with a resumption of military operations.
Asked about his comment on Tuesday, in which he said he was about an hour away from making a decision regarding the renewal of fighting in Iran, Trump said the U.S. is waiting for “the right answers.”
“It’s right on the borderline,” Trump told reporters at Andrews Joint Air Base on Wednesday. “Believe me, if we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go.”
Trump also explained that his decision to wait is based on saving lives.
“What I like to do, if I can save war by waiting a couple of days, or if I can save people being killed by waiting a couple of days, I think it’s a great thing to do,” he commented.
US President Trump on Iran:
— ConflictLive (@conflict_live) May 21, 2026
"It's right on the borderline, believe me. If we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go. We have to get the right answers — it would have to be a complete 100% good answers." pic.twitter.com/Jr5HH1MUjf
Meanwhile, the Iranian regime warned against renewed strikes.
"If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time," the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said in a statement.
On Thursday morning, the Iranian regime said it is reviewing the latest U.S. position, and will make a decision.
"We have received U.S. views and are reviewing them," Iranian state-run agency Nour News quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei as saying.
Amid reports that Israel is preparing to renew strikes on Iran, Trump told reporters that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “will do whatever I want him to do.”
Trump’s remarks came in response to a question by reporters about the U.S.-Israeli cooperation on Iran.
“What have you said to Prime Minister Netanyahu about Iran and how long to hold off on strikes?” Trump was asked.
“He’ll do whatever I want him to do,” Trump responded. “He’s a very good man.”
Trump also brushed off concerns that he is worried about midterm elections in the U.S., saying he is in “no hurry” to make a deal.
“We’d have to open the Strait. That would open immediately,” Trump responded when asked if he would consider a limited deal just on the Strait of Hormuz. “We’re going to give this one shot.”
“I’m in no hurry,” he continued. “You never think, ‘Oh the midterms.’ I’m in no hurry. Ideally, I’d like to see a few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way.”
Meanwhile, Iran created a new authority for managing access through the Strait of Hormuz, called the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA).
“The Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) is the legal entity and representative authority of the Islamic Republic of Iran for managing the passage and transit through the Strait of Hormuz,” the newly created body posted in a statement on 𝕏.
“Navigation within the introduced boundaries of the Strait of Hormuz, which were previously determined by the Armed Forces and authorities of the Islamic Republic of Iran, is contingent upon full coordination with these entities, and passage without permission will be considered illegal,” the authority warned.
At the same time, the U.S. military continues to operate its blockade on vessels heading to or from Iranian ports.
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said it boarded an Iranian-flagged oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman that was suspected of trying to violate the blockade.
“U.S. Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit boarded M/T Celestial Sea, an Iranian-flagged commercial oil tanker suspected of attempting to violate the U.S. blockade by transiting toward an Iranian port,” CENTCOM said in a statement posted on 𝕏.
Earlier today in the Gulf of Oman, U.S. Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit boarded M/T Celestial Sea, an Iranian-flagged commercial oil tanker suspected of attempting to violate the U.S. blockade by transiting toward an Iranian port. American forces released the… pic.twitter.com/1AVT0MudKY
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) May 20, 2026
“American forces released the vessel after searching and directing the ship’s crew to alter course,” the statement said. “U.S. forces continue to fully enforce the blockade and have now redirected 91 commercial ships to ensure compliance.”
The All Israel News Staff is a team of journalists in Israel.